Hurricane Garage Doors: Tips And Tricks To Keep Your Home Safe
As we all know, hurricane season is upon us. And while we can’t control the weather, there are some things we can do to prepare our homes and businesses for the worst. One of the most important things to consider is your garage door. After all, it is the largest moving object in your home and if it isn’t functioning properly, it could pose a serious safety hazard. In this blog post, we will share some tips and tricks on how to hurricane-proof your garage door and keep your home safe during the storm.
Before the Hurricane Season
As we all know, hurricane season is upon us. And, although we can’t control the weather, there are some things we can do to prepare our homes (and garage doors) for the storm. Here are a few tips and tricks to keep your home safe:
1. Inspect your garage door regularly. Make sure that the door is balanced and that the tracks are clear of debris.
2. If you have an automatic garage door opener, make sure that it is properly maintained and serviced.
3. During a hurricane watch or warning, disconnect the garage door opener from the power source. This will prevent the wind from damage to the opener or activating it during a power outage.
4. Secure loose items in your garage such as bicycles, lawnmowers, etc. These items can become projectiles during high winds and cause serious damage or injury if they aren’t secured.
5. If possible, park your car in an enclosed space such as a garage or carport. This will protect your vehicle from wind and flying debris
During the Hurricane Season
As hurricane season approaches, it’s important to make sure your garage door is in good working order. Here are some tips and tricks to keep your home safe:
– Check the weatherstripping around your garage door to ensure it is intact and in good condition.
– Inspect your garage door for any loose or damaged parts.
– Make sure your garage door opener is working properly.
– Test your garage door by opening and closing it several times.
– If you have a manual garage door, make sure you know how to operate it in case of power outages.
By following these simple tips, you can help keep your home safe during hurricane season.
After the Hurricane Season
After the hurricane season, it is important to inspect your garage door for any damage. Inspect the door panels, tracks, hardware, and weather stripping for any damage. If any damage is found, it is important to repair or replace the damaged parts as soon as possible.
With hurricane season upon us, now is the time to make sure our garage doors are up to the task of keeping our homes safe. By following the tips and tricks in this article, you can be sure that your garage door will be able to withstand whatever Mother Nature throws its way. So don’t wait until it’s too late — get your hurricane garage door ready today!